The Object Permissions Explorer is included in our Metacoda Security Plug-ins software. It is used to easily and see what level of access an individual has to the various objects in your SAS metadata repository; including libraries, tables, cubes, folders, information maps, reports, and stored processes. It makes it very easy to spot, at a glance, areas where a user has more, or less, permissions than would be expected.
Key features in the Object Permissions Explorer include:
- Access level badges/labels: simplify the set of individual effective permissions making it easy to see and understand, at a glance, what level of access those permissions represent in terms of ability to view and update etc. Access level columns are also sortable so you can readily see which users and groups have most and least access to a selected object. Access level badges visually indicate the level of access; ranging from update access (green), read access (yellow), to hidden (red cross) with levels in between.
- Folders tab: shows the SAS metadata folder tree where you can browse for folders and their contents. Select an object in the Folders tab to see the effective permissions and corresponding access levels for all users and groups on that item.
- Libraries tab: shows all SAS libraries registered in metadata. Select a library to see the access levels for all users and groups, together with their individual effective permissions on that library.
- Object Search tab: if you don’t remember where an object is located in the metadata tree, or it’s an object that can’t be found in the tree (e.g. servers, users, groups, roles etc.), or you want to find objects from different folders connected by the same term, then the Object Search tab can be the simplest way to find them. Select an object from the search results to see the access levels and effective permissions for all users and groups on that object.
- Identities table: displays a list of all users and groups registered in metadata together with access levels and effective permissions for a chosen object from the Folders, Libraries, and Object Search tabs. The table can be customized by hiding or showing columns, re-ordering or re-sizing columns, and sorting rows by any of the available columns (including access level).
- HTML export: find and select a metadata object and then export an HTML report showing all of your users and groups, together with their effective permissions and access levels for that object.
- Security Test XML export: export test specifications in Metacoda Security Test XML format for use in the Testing Framework. Regular testing can be scheduled to automatically detect deviations from this baseline and trigger email alerts.
APPLICATIONSSAS Platform Administrators will find the Object Permissions Explorer useful to:
- Find an object in the SAS metadata folder tree and see all the users and groups that have access to it and the level of access they have.
- Locate a SAS library and confirm appropriate access for all users and groups.
- Search for an object in metadata and determine who has access to that object.
- Export an HTML access report for a specific object, detailing everyone who has access to it, and the level of access they have. This report can be published or emailed for audit purposes.
- Use the Testing Framework to export and schedule a test script that can regularly check access levels and effective permissions for candidate users and groups on content that needs to be strictly access controlled. An email alert can be sent whenever access is no longer correct.
LICENSING & EVALUATION
The Object Permissions Explorer is available in our Metacoda Security Plug-ins Premium and Enterprise level packages. We offer three license package levels: Starter, Premium and Enterprise. Read our licensing page to find out which package is best for you.
Register today to:
- start using our free Metacoda Utility Plug-ins
- start using our free Metacoda Custom Tasks
- request a free 30 day evaluation license to trial our commercial software, Metacoda Security Plug-ins.
If you have any questions, please contact us.